Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Now

my Gramps knows how to live in the moment and so does my Grammie.
Here he is picking blackberries.



Does anyone else find themselves putting off contentment?

Lately I've been noticing that my brain is always going a million miles an hour, and even if I have some down time, I have lost the art of just being in the present moment.
I catch myself unsettled about whatever I am doing currently, and always looking towards the future (near or far) to bring me a greater sense of fulfillment.

I put off my life until someday...and I'm getting a little sick of it.
Here are some examples:

As soon as I get through my first two classes, and I can can get coffee during my break and everything will be fine.
or
When I don't have to work as many hours I will be able to keep up my house better, and that will make us feel settled.
or
When I get to know these people better (could be anyone), then I will have the confidence to reach out to them.
or
When we are done with school, and have time to spend together without homework, Bryan and I will learn to communicate better.
or
Next week when I'm not as busy, I will prioritize my friends and call them
or
If I can just make it through the week and get home to my parents house for Thanksgiving, then I will really enjoy myself.
or
If I could get back to my pre-marriage weight, then I would feel good about my appearance.
or
When I can travel again to help people in third world countries, I will feel a sense of purpose.
or
When I reach my production goals at work then I will start enjoying it.

Some of these are grounded in truth...some of them are not. Regardless, the point is that I am doing a lot of missing out on what is in front of me, and what is unique to my life right now....
right now..........or now.....
......................................................and now.
Mary Oliver's poems are really powerful to me because they emphasize the sacred in the everyday moments of life.

I will post some, but not today.....Maybe someday....when I'm not so busy :)







No comments: