Thursday, December 13, 2007

Direction

my little sister's favorite red shoes. ruby red slippers to bring her home on Saturday. Yay!
For some time now, I've been searching for some direction for my blog. I've always been a sporadic journaler, and am finding blogging to be a similar experience. Chronicalling everything that goes on in my life ends up being pretty tedious for me, and I find that it just becomes another thing on the to do list.

But, I really like blogging...I eagerly check my friends blogs for new posts, hoping for something new to read...and I enjoy the connections that it gives people; a window into someone else's life that you might not gather from passing the time of day. So, I haven't wanted to throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet (what a horrible metaphor).

What I would really like to turn this blog into, is a way to practice making a big deal about the everydayness in everyday life. I need a place to document the presence of God in the details....you know, in the small stuff....as in, "don't sweat the ______". side note: could anyone please tell me whether or not periods and commas go inside of quotations marks or outside? It's getting a little embarrassing to not know that.

Anyways, back to my revelation about blogging. Having a place to record my observations will help me get in the habit of noticing God around every corner. Because there really is a whisper of the divine in everything, and I want to tune my ears to hear it. I miss out on where God is in my life, because I am looking for her in something so....Goddish. Except for the fact that that is not a word. And then I wonder where God is. I actually ask myself that sometimes. But I know that I am the only one. :)

3 comments:

momma t said...

Your writing always reveals to me not only something about your heart but also something about my own. That is a gift.
I'm so excited about the blogging path you are choosing to meander down next...
May Goddishness be revealed to you in a million new ways...
and to me as you write about it.
"I love you." Or would that be "I love you".
?

Bryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I hear you on the "sporadic" part...I've been a sporadic (at best) blogger lately, but I find it's really important for me to talk about the small stuff, the places where the divine breaks through in my mind and heart and everyday experience. I'm excited to read more about how that is for you.

As for quotation marks...I think if it's the end of a sentence and the punctuation goes with that sentence you put the quotation marks after the punctuation, e.g. "Aren't quotation marks fun?" But if you're ending a sentence where the punctuation goes with the sentence then it goes outside the quotation makrs, e.g., don't you hate all these random "rules"? Similar rules apply for parentheses, which are also often misused and have very annoying rules. =)

So I hope we see you again a few times before we leave! I hope you had a good trip to the airport tonight.