Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The fabric of our lives



Today I wore a beautiful new scarf, crocheted by my mother. It is very warm in color and in function.


I am naming the colors myself, since they are too rich and varied for the usual names.


Merlot and raspberry jam...two of my favorites. Although that might not be a very good combination in your mouth (yuck), it sure is beautiful in yarn to be wrapped around your neck. There is also an orange cinnamonish color that I have yet to name. Any ideas?






Adding to my textile delight, I also received this blanket from India. I find it pretty special since it is handmade out of used saris, and handpicked by my little sister.



This website tells the story about the organization where the blanket came from.





And here is an excerpt from their website that I copied and pasted (can I do that?)


Sari Bari is a safe home where women, who have been exploited in the sex trade, can have their dignity restored and experience new life in the making.
Each of our products made from the Indian sari is marked with a woman's name, a woman who now has the opportunity to make a choice for freedom and new life.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thinking of you guys this morning. hope your doing well! we're moving to portland this weekend! we need to see you soon.

ben