Sunday, October 28, 2007

Jesus Christ


I have been thinking about him a lot lately. I wish that wasn't something so new that it was worthy of a blog post, but that is where I find myself.

The sermon series at church has been about Jesus, and the Gospel (a novel concept, I know). Two weeks ago, Pastor Rick talked about how one of the problems with Christians is that we are not fully convinced ourselves, of some of the basic truths that we claim. Deep inside we're not entirely sure if Jesus is really our only way, our truth, and our life. We're not fully convinced that he is our only hope for this life. We keep thinking that we can come up with a better solution to fill the emptiness that we feel, or to heal the hurt that we see in the world.
It seems like an elementary concept for someone like me who has been following Jesus for as long as I can remember. But yet I seem to make a game of seeing how far away I can get from Jesus, while still being a part of the religion that is named after him. All of my life I need to be surrounded by friends and family, and a church that points me back in the right direction.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm...great food for thought! I agree with your statement that "I seem to make a game of seeing how far away I can get from Jesus, while still being a part of the religion that is named after him." Very profound. I think it's become popular in Christian circles (at least the ones I like and listen to) to be "liberal," not liberal like some who aren't Christians would talk about liberal, but liberal in that we don't have to be literal about the Bible, etc. I think that's healthy in some ways, but I think it's also a way of intellectualizing our faith rather than really living it. At least I think that's how it often is for me. If I can make it intellectual instead of personal, I don't have to actually give feet to my faith--I can hold it at arm's length and scrutinize it from the comfort of my living room. I don't have to go to India and hang out with kids of sex workers like your amazing sister, or even worse, hang out with poor people in my own town, like Jesus would do.

Thanks for your post, and for your honesty.

scott mackey... said...

ms. rupp, so good to run across your blog. we should be blog friends. Also, i really like what you have to say. I'm afraid i am more guilty than anyone of doubting that Jesus is the only way and seeking to find better ways. and this might be ok in some ways becasue i'm only seeking to find a Jesus that transcends the traditions i'v been apart of, but it also is dangerous, as you said.